VISION STATEMENT
To encourage and assist fibre artists to achieve their
fullest potential by providing advice, facilities
and educational material in an enjoyable
social environment.


Meetings held weekly on Wednesday at Possum Hollow Hall within Townsville Showgrounds, Hyde Park. 10am - 1-00pm

Sunday 10 July 2011

A Peep into the Creative Life of Linda Stubberfield.

As a creative member of Fibres and Fabrics how would you describe yourself – art/craft wise? Fabric and paper crafts-person would be a good description. I am foremost a dressmaker/sewer, and hand "fancy worker". I have done quilting, freestyle machine embroidery and related skills, and combining them to create fibre-art pieces.  
Are you more comfortable working in one particular medium than most others? Fabric is my favourite medium, though paper comes a close second. I often find ways to combine the two.
Linda's design quilt
Champion Townsville Show
Are there any artists or crafters who, more than any others, have influenced you in your creative life and why? My female relatives, for showing me that sewing is a natural part of life. My Home Science teachers at school, who taught me that some things could be done differently to how my mother did it! Art-wise, Diane Johnstone taught me about colour and fine appliqué, and from that I had the confidence to put my thoughts into reality. The people who ran Bernina Club, which I attended for years. Machine skills advanced so much in those days. And the Fibres and Fabrics ladies, who are an excellent example of artists who are not afraid to combine different skills to make a wonderful art piece. Also the many authors who took the time to write books which I read avidly to advance my knowledge of crochet, knitting, beadwork, feltwork, fine embroidery, beadwork, cardmaking and bookmaking.
Describe your workspace. In the spare bedroom is my sewing table which was made for my Mum. It has lovely maple veneer on the sides and door fronts, and silky-oak other smaller pieces. It was made by a very good Italian craftsman in Innisfail for her. It always has the sewing machine set up and, if it's not in use, it's covered with a faded patchwork cover. There is another table with storage cartons under it, two sets of drawers, and a built-in wardrobe. They are all full of finished and unfinished works, as well as the materials to create more. I have dolls and teddies watching me from one corner, and a wall-hanging above my stereo, which is very important for music and audio-books that I play while working.

What 3 tools could you not live without? My sewing machine, scissors and needles.
Do you keep a sketchbook or journal? Not regularly. I have a lot of samples of my past efforts, which I am putting into albums and specially made boxes, plus numerous photo albums.

We all share our knowledge at Fibres and Fabrics. Do you extend this in any way by participating in or teaching workshops? Yes, I attended Quilt Experience weekends when they were held in Townsville, for eight years, with some excellent tutors. Also visiting tutors arranged by Flying Arts. At F & F I've taught one or two card-making workshops each year, and have attended many workshops where the tips and ideas flow thick and fast.
Patchwork Child's Vest and Skirt
1st prize Townsville Show
How do you inspire your creativity when you’re stuck? I read books on the subject. I'm not really stuck for ideas, just the way to interpret them. My ideas will continue for as long as I live, I think.
If cost wasn’t an issue, what avenues would you choose to explore to expand your skills? I'd travel Australia and the world to see exhibitions and museums displaying inspiring work. I read and watch on TV everything I can which pertains to art and craft, especially fabric arts.
How do you balance your life? I love family, music, nature, and photographing anything that interests me, as well as the sewing and craft.
Has any of your work appeared, or is it going to appear, in a display or exhibition either collaboratively or alone? If so where and when? I showed my work at the Townsville Show for many years, and entered Quilt shows in Townsville and Brisbane. I have also participated in exhibitions put on by Fibres and Fabrics at the Perc Tucker Gallery, Riverway, and the yearly Craft Shows at the Entertainment Centre.
What does your work mean to you? It means everything to me. With my craft I never have an unoccupied moment, and that's how I like it. It satisfies my love and appreciation of lovely fabrics, shiny things like beads, and good work.


Thank you Linda for sharing your craft life with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment