VISION STATEMENT
To encourage and assist fibre artists to achieve their
fullest potential by providing advice, facilities
and educational material in an enjoyable
social environment.


Meetings held weekly on Wednesday at Possum Hollow Hall within Townsville Showgrounds, Hyde Park. 10am - 1-00pm

Sunday 3 July 2011

A Glimpse of Birte Muller



The fact that you’re a Life Member of Fibres and Fabrics shows you have a long term relationship with creativity! Define yourself – art/craft wise? When I was a little girl my father taught me to use a hammer and a sharp knife and my mother a needle and it has been galloping ever since.

Are you more comfortable working in one particular medium than most others? No! I have been (comfortable) almost at anything (perhaps except lace making.)

Are there any artists or crafters who, more than any others, have influenced you in your creative life and why? When I came to F and F I was in my Patchwork period (which had lasted several years) but then Kenneth Smith came and gave workshops on silk painting and machine embroidery and I was lost to the Patchwork world and I threw myself into many different crafts. Some years later Adéle Outteridge introduced me to the wonders of bookmaking and I'm still working mainly with paper.

Describe your workspace.  As I live alone I can do what I want, so I have my workspace in the lounge room which has been moved to a bedroom. Though it is big it is rather chaotic as I'm always working on at least 3 different things at a time.

What 3 tools could you not live without? Colour and colour and colour.

Do you keep a sketchbook or journal?  Not a journal but I have several sketchbooks which also contain tricks of the trade and samples from workshops.

We all share our knowledge at Fibres and Fabrics. Do you extend this in any way by participating in or teaching workshops? I have participated in many workshops over the years and I have also given a few, mainly in F and F on bookbinding.

How do you inspire your creativity when you’re stuck? Look at other people's work.

If cost wasn’t an issue, what avenues would you choose to explore to expand your skills? Go overseas and see what other nations do.

How do you balance your life? That is a difficult Q. What is balance? But I think if I wouldn't get my Dry Martini before dinner I would certainly be off balance.

Has any of your work appeared, or is it going to appear, in a display or exhibition either collaboratively or alone? If so where and when? I have shown my work in many of F and F's exhibitions.

What does your work mean to you? Everything.

Thank you, Birte. Your sense of humour is as dry as your Martini!

No comments:

Post a Comment