VISION STATEMENT
To encourage and assist fibre artists to achieve their
fullest potential by providing advice, facilities
and educational material in an enjoyable
social environment.


Meetings held weekly on Wednesday at Possum Hollow Hall within Townsville Showgrounds, Hyde Park. 10am - 1-00pm

Sunday 19 June 2011

Things You Might Not Have Known About Sharyn Howlum!



The fact that you’re a member of Fibres and Fabrics shows you are creative by nature. Define yourself – art/craft wise? At the moment, I'm concentrating on finishing the candlewicked quilt cover for my son and daughter-in-law. Only 4 more blocks to go. I have participated in several classes at TAFE throughout the years e.g. leatherwork, copperwork, quilting, pottery; and am always open to learning new skills.  

Are you more comfortable working in one particular medium than most others? I'm probably more comfortable with crafts that use sewing. There is less mess and you can stop and start easily.  

Are there any artists or crafters who, more than any others, have influenced you in your creative life and why? My mother and aunts were always making something as well as being good cooks. I remember the knitting, crocheting, sewing, tatting. Mum also had hat blocks that I wish I'd kept.  

Describe your workspace. I work in the lounge or at the kitchen table. The kids' rooms are slowly filling with the excess, as they have left home.  

What 3 tools could you not live without? My scissors, needle and thread 

Do you keep a sketchbook or journal? I use an old ruled pad for ideas, especially after joining the postcard group at F&F. 

We all share our knowledge at Fibres and Fabrics. Do you extend this in any way by participating in or teaching workshops?At the moment, I don't think my skills are advanced enough for teaching but I'm enjoying learning new skills through participating in workshops e.g. felting, the bookies group. The other members have so much knowledge and experience and are so enthusiastic!  

How do you inspire your creativity when you’re stuck? I usually leave the item and come back to it when I have inspiration.  

If cost wasn’t an issue, what avenues would you choose to explore to expand your skills? I would like to do more drawing and painting classes and wouldn't it be wonderful to have them in Paris or Venice.  

How do you balance your life? I don't know how balanced my life is but I also participate in tap dancing and tai chi classes, volunteer at Reef HQ, am learning to play golf and like travelling, especially to visit the 5 month old grandson.
I was a Madam in the local amateur production of "Miss Saigon".  

Has any of your work appeared, or is it going to appear, in a display or exhibition either collaboratively or alone? If so where and when? No, only the F&F book display at the library and candlewicked quilt cover at the Show and Tell.  

What does your work mean to you? It is satisfying to create and finish an item. I also like the social interaction at F&F.  

Thank you Sharyn. Hope you get to Paris and Venice for drawing and painting lessons!

1 comment:

  1. An actress.... wow I never realised.. I'll have to get her autograph... what an amazing lady.. love her work.
    hugs
    Annette

    ReplyDelete