VISION STATEMENT
To encourage and assist fibre artists to achieve their
fullest potential by providing advice, facilities
and educational material in an enjoyable
social environment.


Meetings held weekly on Wednesday at Possum Hollow Hall within Townsville Showgrounds, Hyde Park. 10am - 1-00pm

Sunday 12 June 2011

The Hidden Depths of Joan Brown!

The fact that you’re a member of Fibres and Fabrics shows you are creative by nature. Define yourself – art/craft wise? I am still in the early days of exploring what I really want to do.  My main love at present is patchwork/making quilts and this is taking time as it is still early days for me. I like to explore other craft activities, when time permits.(Photo to the left shows Joan's quilt made using strip-pieced water colour merger.)

Are you more comfortable working in one particular medium than most others? I prefer to work with fabric –mixing colours and shapes to create an enjoyable piece of work.

Are there any artists or crafters who, more than any others, have influenced you in your creative life and why? In my limited creative life (since retirement), members of Fibres have been the main influence in what I have achieved to date.

Describe your workspace. My workspace is half an enclosed breezeway.  I share the room with my husband’s computer interests.  Actually, I think I commandeer a bit more than half the space.

What 3 tools could you not live without? Sewing machine, scissors and unpicker.

Do you keep a sketchbook or journal? I have a folder in which I keep instructions and samples of what I have learnt since joining Fibres.  Prior to this I was either working, meeting the needs of family and pursuing other interests.

We all share our knowledge at Fibres and Fabrics. Do you extend this in any way by participating in or teaching workshops? When time permits I attend workshops at the centre and regularly attend the Patchwork Group days.  When I feel I can, I will happily share my knowledge, but I feel I am still very much a learner.

How do you inspire your creativity when you’re stuck? Think about what I am trying to do, look at books on the subject and ask other members of Fibres for ideas and help.

If cost wasn’t an issue, what avenues would you choose to explore, to expand your skills? Attend workshops and classes.

Joan, you do so much for Fibres, coordinating the Patchwork and Quilting Group and all raffles during the year. How do you balance your life? Haphazardly! Pursuing creative interests generally fits around other regular commitments I have made.

(Photo to the right is Joan's "I Spy" quilt.)
Have you, or do you intend to, exhibit any of your work, either collaboratively or alone? If so where and when? Some of my quilting efforts have been included with the work of other Fibres members shown at the Craft and Quilt Fairs.  I don’t have plans for any other type of exhibition.

What does your work mean to you? Personal satisfaction on achieving creating something and the pleasure of creating that item.

Thank you for sharing yourself with us, Joan.

No comments:

Post a Comment