VISION STATEMENT
To encourage and assist fibre artists to achieve their
fullest potential by providing advice, facilities
and educational material in an enjoyable
social environment.


Meetings held weekly on Wednesday at Possum Hollow Hall within Townsville Showgrounds, Hyde Park. 10am - 1-00pm

Sunday 5 June 2011

Getting to know Jan Crabtree

The fact that you’re a member of Fibres and Fabrics shows you are creative by nature. Define yourself – art/craft wise? I would describe myself as being a mixed media / collage art person.

Are you more comfortable working in one particular medium than most others? Paper, fabric and paint.




Are there any artists or crafters who, more than any others, have influenced you in your creative life and why? My Dad, Gordon, a watchmaker and jeweller by trade. He was very artistic and always encouraged me, even when I drew and painted animals all over the bedroom walls when I was younger. Every member of Fibres and Fabrics.

Describe your workspace. I have a very tiny studio (my laundry) but being too hot most of the year, I work on the dining table.

What 3 tools could you not live without? Heat gun, scissors, paint brushes.

Do you keep a sketchbook or journal? No. I would lose it.

We all share our knowledge at Fibres and Fabrics. Do you extend this in any way by participating in or teaching workshops? I enjoy participating in most workshops. Teaching? Not as yet.

How do you inspire your creativity when you’re stuck? Browsing through books. Dreaming up new ideas.

If cost wasn’t an issue, what avenues would you choose to explore to expand your skills? I would attend more forums.

How do you balance your life? Art comes first. Everything else is secondary.

Has any of your work appeared, or is it going to appear, in a display or exhibition either collaboratively or alone? If so where and when? Collaboratively in the Alba Leucos exhibition and anything to do with Fibres and Fabrics.

What does your work mean to you? Everything. I love to be creative.


Thank you Jan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment