VISION STATEMENT
To encourage and assist fibre artists to achieve their
fullest potential by providing advice, facilities
and educational material in an enjoyable
social environment.


Meetings held weekly on Wednesday at Possum Hollow Hall within Townsville Showgrounds, Hyde Park. 10am - 1-00pm

Sunday 10 April 2011

Getting to Know You - Getting to Know all About You!

I thought it might be fun to get to know the members of Fibres and Fabrics a little better, so I'm going to be featuring a series of questions to an individual members and their answers. Annette Sibson has agreed to be my laboratory mouse! So here we go:


Getting to Know Annette Sibson 

 1.    How do you categorize yourself – art/craft wise?
Individual.  Keen to have a go at anything new, use wayout materials, wayout techiniques.  Jack of all trades, master of none.

 2.    What techniques and mediums are your favourites?
   At the moment my love is eco-dyeing using eucalypt leaves and found fabrics  (from        second hand shops).  I just love the unexpected results and glorious earthy colours, some subtle, some less so.  I also love rusty fabric using found rusted items and again, found fabrics.  And I better not leave out free machine embroidery..  just love it..


3.    Is there one artist or crafter who more than any other has influenced you in your creative life and why? 
    Carol McGill for her support of my creativity and her recommendation to join Fibres & Fabrics, where I found acceptance for my way of creating.  My confidence has increased tenfold.  Thank you Carol. 
     You’re welcome and I’m pleased to have been of some moral support to you, but hasn’t the development of your artistic work with eco-dyed textiles been strongly influenced by India Flint?
     Yes, I will agree that India Flint’s work has certainly been a huge influence over the past 18 months, but without the realisation that there are people out there who are accepting of such adventurous techniques I may never have gone as far as I have.

4.    Describe your workspace. 
     Large, open, airy, tidyish, extends to outside under the verandah and the garden.

5.    What 3 tools could you not live without?
      Needles. Scissors. Imagination.

6.    Do you keep a sketchbook or journal? 
    Yes, I have several going.  They are all different sizes and shapes and I lose them constantly.

7.    Do you teach? Where and when?
     Rarely, but happily help friends all the time.
     I saw the following advertised in the Umbrella Studio newsletter:

Eco Textile Workshop
9am - 1pm Saturday 7 May
Members $35 | Non-Members $45
Join artist Annette Sibson and learn how to use vinegar and water to create unique markings on fabric using rusted items and leaves. 

BOOKINGS ESSENTIAL: phone 4772 7109 or email project@umbrella.org.au

             Is this correct?
           (Laughing) Oh, you saw that..  yes it is, I’m really rather nervous about this,  but am told by          friends that I’ll be fine.  I’ll wait and see. 

8.    How do you inspire your creativity when you’re stuck? 
     Go for a walk outside, go to the beach, watch nature.  Look at pictures of others artwork in books, on the ‘net.

9.    If money wasn't an issue, how would you further develop yourself in your field? 
     Travel overseas on art tours.

10.  How do you balance your life?
     Go walking by the sea, fishing, laughing with friends, glasses of wine, cryptic crosswords, being outside, being a member of a group.  Nice dinner out with my husband.

11. Have you recently or are you planning to soon exhibit you work? If so where and when?  
      Exhibition ‘Collected Leavings’, April 15 – May 22 2011.
Is that being held at Umbrella Studio?
Yes, that’s correct, they (the staff at Umbrella) have been very supportive and appear keen to see my work exhibited.

So are we all, Annette! Looking forward to visiting your exhibition. And, thank you for sharing letting us get to know you a little better.





1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful article/interview. I love Annette's work but haven't had much of a chance to explore it either. Annette helped me to do my background material for my second Assessment piece.

    Well done both of you... Arlene

    ReplyDelete