VISION STATEMENT
To encourage and assist fibre artists to achieve their
fullest potential by providing advice, facilities
and educational material in an enjoyable
social environment.


Meetings held weekly on Wednesday at Possum Hollow Hall within Townsville Showgrounds, Hyde Park. 10am - 1-00pm

Wednesday 7 March 2012

Sue Taylor: an Artist in Residence in her own Life!

Sue Taylor’s getting the ball rolling again with our ‘getting to know our members’ campaign. Thank you, Sue.
The fact that you’re a member of Fibres and Fabrics shows you are creative by nature. Define yourself – art/craft wise? Arty! Crafty! Imaginative. I like exploring ideas generated by looking at nature and all created objects.

Are you more comfortable working in one particular medium than most others? I am not a patchworker, weaver, embroiderer. I am not disciplined enough to stick to guidelines. I like messing around with materials.

Are there any artists or crafters who, more than any others, have influenced you in your creative life and why? People with passion in any of ther creative arts i.e. writers, musicians, performers, painters, potters, crafters inspire and influence.


Describe your workspace. My large wooden table is in my living space. My place is not big enough for a separate studio area. Naturally my table is rather untidy.

What 3 tools could you not live without? Scissors, needles and threads, cutting board.

Do you keep a sketchbook or journal? Yes, a daily journal to remember thoughts and ideas, in words and pictures.

We all share our knowledge at Fibres and Fabrics. Do you extend this in any way by participating in or teaching workshops?  I like looking at what people are doing and understanding how it is done.

How do you inspire your creativity when you’re stuck? Stuck? I put stuff aside until inspiration strikes or fiddle around with any number of bits and pieces on the go.


If cost wasn’t an issue, what avenues would you choose to explore to expand your skills? I would visit all the desert communities in Western Australia and Northern Territory to become more aware of ceremony and culture and increase my understanding of people and landscape.

How do you balance your life? By being in the right time for swimming, gardening, books, films, Radio National, whatever I fancy.

Has any of your work appeared, or is it going to appear, in a display or exhibition either collaboratively or alone? If so where and when?  Solo exhibitions in Wollongong and Alice Springs when I lived there and participating in group exhibitions, especially as a member of a particular interest group.


What does your work mean to you? It means I’m an artist in residence in my own life.

I like that Sue!

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant.... love your work..

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved Sue's work... from when we met in Wollongong and she gave me a beautiful map of Townsville that she had made... still my most treasured artwork. Amazing talent.

    ReplyDelete