VISION STATEMENT
To encourage and assist fibre artists to achieve their
fullest potential by providing advice, facilities
and educational material in an enjoyable
social environment.


Meetings held weekly on Wednesday at Possum Hollow Hall within Townsville Showgrounds, Hyde Park. 10am - 1-00pm

Sunday 2 October 2011

Sue Davis

The fact that you’re a member of Fibres and Fabrics shows you are creative by nature. Define yourself – art/craft wise? I have sewn since I was a teenager then started to make teddies and cloth dolls,, but after joining Fibres I have grown and love textiles and felting.
Are you more comfortable working in one particular medium than most others? I am more comfortable working with textiles and felt. I love all the colours and textures of fabrics and wools.
Are there any artists or crafters who, more than any others, have influenced you in your creative life and why? Years ago I used to make cloth dolls and I did a silk dyeing and machine embroidery workshop with Ken Smith and fell in love with free hand machine embroidery. I then joined Fibres and was given a lot of encouragement from Barb and attended a few forums and workshops and have made lots of friends there over the years I have tried lots of new things been involved in exhibitions and evolved more than I ever imagined.
Describe your workspace. I am lucky to have a whole room to use as my workspace but sometimes still spread out into my living room.
What tools could you not live without? My sewing machine, scissors and needles and thread.
Do you keep a sketchbook or journal? Not really but I do have a book I roughly sketch what I will be doing next.
We all share our knowledge at Fibres and Fabrics. Do you extend this in any way by participating in or teaching workshops? I love showing anything new I have found that works out well.
How do you inspire your creativity when you’re stuck? Have a break and work in my garden.
If cost wasn’t an issue, what avenues would you choose to explore to expand your skills? I would buy a camper van and travel round Austalia attending workshops and forums. I would also love to visit artists whose work I admire.
How do you balance your life? I do spend a lot of time with Fibres friends but have other friends to go to movies with and shopping. I also love reading, my animals and my garden.
Has any of your work appeared, or is it going to appear, in a display or exhibition either collaboratively or alone? If so where and when? I have had work in some Flying Art exhibitions and any Fibres have had over the last 6 years.













What does your work mean to you? Even though I get frustrated sometimes when something does not work, I cannot imagine not doing anything with textiles.
Thank you, Sue, for sharing your creative life with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment