VISION STATEMENT
To encourage and assist fibre artists to achieve their
fullest potential by providing advice, facilities
and educational material in an enjoyable
social environment.


Meetings held weekly on Wednesday at Possum Hollow Hall within Townsville Showgrounds, Hyde Park. 10am - 1-00pm

Monday 22 August 2011

Beryl Bull

The fact that you’re a member of Fibres and Fabrics shows you are  creative by nature. Define yourself – art/craft wise? I’ve always loved painting on canvas – nothing serious. I’ve always loved fabrics and blingy stuff. This, combined, has led me into an interest of cloth doll making and beyond, into fibres and fabrics.



Beryl's own pattern Citrus Chique 2009
Are you more comfortable working in one particular medium than most others? No – I am now trying it all – but it did take me a while to experiment away from bought commercial fabrics, like about 45 years! I’m finding paint, paper and glues creeping into my thoughts at the moment, too.
Are there any artists or crafters who, more than any others, have influenced you in your creative life and why? Yep – Barb Neunhoffer  (local) – she has shown me how to experiment with my sewing machine to have fun and she always shares her skills. And Janet Banks has been an influence with her skills at journalism and adding zing to an ordinary book, preloved or hand created.
Describe your workspace.  Quite organised and tidy. I work in a small room so I need objects organised around me for easy access. I like to know where the items are stored/packed so I don’t waste time searching.
What 3 tools could you not live without? Acrylic paint, sewing machine, pens and pencils.
Do you keep a sketchbook or journal?  No. I did try once. Just have fun experimenting and forgetting how I created it now! 



Madame Butterfly sold in 2006
We all share our knowledge at Fibres and Fabrics. Do you extend this in any way by participating in or teaching workshops? Arrr – did teach a fabric painting workshop once, but am keen to participate in anything going.
How do you inspire your creativity when you’re stuck?  I’ll have a flick through a magazine or book from Fibres’ Library. Or lay awake all night thinking up ideas. I’m the Goddess of Dreamland!
If cost wasn’t an issue, what avenues would you choose to explore to expand your skills? Perhaps go to more workshops that are provided around the country by International and Australian tutors.
How do you balance your life?  I don’t put much thought into life really, as long as I’m happy, healthy and fit, I let things fall into place.



Book cover of created paper fabric




Have you, or do you intend to, exhibit any of your work, either collaboratively or alone? If so where and when? I’m happy to exhibit my work wherever, but mainly as “show and tell” type displays. I have done and will continue to do any collaborative works with Fibres and Fabrics Association.
What does your work mean to you? It makes me feel blessed that I have the skills to produce an art piece of some sort. Art and craft work is calming, stimulating and an outlet to express myself.

Well, if that's just an entree to what you'll be doing as you keep "trying it all", we have some treats still to look forward to, Beryl.

No comments:

Post a Comment