VISION STATEMENT
To encourage and assist fibre artists to achieve their
fullest potential by providing advice, facilities
and educational material in an enjoyable
social environment.


Meetings held weekly on Wednesday at Possum Hollow Hall within Townsville Showgrounds, Hyde Park. 10am - 1-00pm

Sunday 22 May 2011

Marion Gaemers under the Microscope!



1.            The fact that you’re a member of Fibres and Fabrics shows you are creative by nature. Define yourself  as an artist?
I think of myself as a basket maker following the traditions of basket makers. I like that there is a large history of basketry in all cultures. But I also enjoy breaking tradition and using basketry techniques to make forms that are not baskets and finding new and waste materials to use in my work.
2.            Are you more comfortable working in one particular medium than most others?
Yes I love working in 3d. I don’t particularly like to work flat and am a hopeless painter. The other thing I have a problem with is using colour sticking mainly to browns.
3.            Are there any artists or crafters who, more than any others, have influenced you in your creative life and why?
On  a world scale Andy Goldsworthy and Chris Drury – both these artist do amazing landscape art work, Bronwyn Oliver (Australian) her metal sculptural forms are exquisite. On a personal level Robert Burton,( who talked me into exhibiting and doing workshops when I was just beginning)  Rhyl Hindwood (who came to Townsville and taught me coiled basketry with banana fibre) and all the members of fibres and fabrics. And I am sure there are many more in one way or another.
4.            Describe your workspace.
I will work anywhere in the house depending on what I am making. At the dining room table, on the couch in front of the television or in the yard. It depends on what I am making and the time of day.
5.            What 3 tools could you not live without?
Needle, secateurs, pliers.
6.            Do you keep a sketchbook or journal?
Sort of. I am not a regular keeper of a journal but do have a book I will write or sketch ideas in. If I can’t find the book I use bits of paper that are scattered over the house.
7.            We all share our knowledge at Fibres and Fabrics. Do you extend this in any way by participating in or teaching workshops outside of this group?
I have taught basketry for various groups around Australia. I do about 2 workshops for various organisations or galleries a year.  I am currently involved with Carpentaria GhostNets and I have been teaching in Aboriginal and Torres Strait communities. Next month I will be going to floating lands at the Sunshine Coast to continue this.
8.            How do you inspire your creativity when you’re stuck?
I might go back through my journal to look at old ideas I have drawn and not worked through or I play with the materials to see what else they can do. But usually a new idea has come to me while I am working on a piece.
9.            If cost wasn’t an issue, what avenues would you choose to explore to expand your skills?
Larger work.
10.         How do you balance your life?
I don’t do any housework. I don’t have children so my art is a priority in my life.
11.         Have you, or do you intend to, exhibit any of your work, either collaboratively or alone? If so where and when?
I have an active exhibition history exhibiting my work in galleries locally and in Australia since 1988. I will always make work for an exhibition if I am asked or if I like the idea. My favourite gallery is Umbrella Studio in Townsville, which started as an artist run space and is a membership gallery. I have been involved with Umbrella for over 20 years. I have had a few solo exhibitions but my favourite way to exhibit is collaboratively with one or more other artists. I also like outside short exhibitions like Strand Ephemera.



12.         What does your work mean to you?
I just love to make things. Exhibiting enables me to continue to make and to grow my work.


Inspirational!

No comments:

Post a Comment